1 restoring compressed information to its normal form for use or display [ant: compression]
Decompression has several meanings:
- in physics: the release of pressure and is the opposition of physical compression
- in medicine and aviation: decompression sickness
- in non-surgical back pain treatment: herniated disc decompression (a form of treatment for the back, employed by chiropractors)
- in surgery: a procedure used to treat spinal stenosis, carotid artery stenosis or any condition where a structure is being compressed
- in scuba diving:
- in festivals: a winding down decompression party
- in accidents involving pressured vessels: explosive decompression
- in computer science: the action of reversing data compression.
- in comic book storytelling: decompression (comics) is the stylistic choice to tell a story mainly by visuals, with few words
- in psychology, to relax or take time off work (take vacation) http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/decompression
- The episode Decompression (The Outer Limits) of the American television fiction series "The Outer Limits"
decompression in French: Décompression
decompression in Italian: Decompressione
decompression in Polish: Dekompresja